Tuesday 18 September 2012

Adventures in Japanese: eating!

As part of my evil 'get it together and actually learn Japanese properly' scheme, I have been listening to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Japanese audiobook.

Most of the words are beyond me at this point, but at the moment this is mainly meant to improve my listening speed. I've been noting the more interesting vocabulary down though, in a text file called 'horrible_mistakes.txt'. (After various 'wut' moments from misheard words.)

This can lead to wonderful journeys through the Japanese dictionary. For example, after looking up a 'funny whelk' eaten by Aunt Marge (腐りかけた), I came across these delightful eating-related expressions.

マクる
To eat at McDonald's. They made a verb out of that?! Something similar exists for Denny's.

バイキング 
Literally, VIKING! But also, a buffet? I guess Vikings are big eaters...

鯨飲馬食 (げいいんばしょく)
Drink like a fish, eat like a horse! Sounds like a good motto to live life by.

食い込む (くいこむ)
To eat into, or erode. But also... a thong causing a wedgie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...