Wednesday 19 September 2012

Dim Sum cravings

 Uwaaaaaaa, I have such a dim sum craving! Just ate half a pack of frozen dumplings. Only half, because I guess I HAVE to share now Anders is back, pout pout pout - ah, um, I mean, I am a kind and generous soul who is fully willing to share half of her delicious foods. ;w; Yes.

That stuff is nice, and all. And I can keep it in the freezer and just jam it in the steamer when I want a tasty snack. But I'd like to go out to eat at a restaurant at some point with friends. Two things have stopped me though.

Firstly, dim sum is a lunch thing. Sadly, my uni friends are night creatures, and are thus usually asleep at lunchtime. Me included.

Secondly, I am downright terrified of going to Chinese restaurants in case someone sees through my unintentional Filipino/Malaysian disguise. Few Asians ever suspect that I am, in fact, Chinese, but if this ever happened, some staff member might actually attempt to converse with me in my mother tongue. Oh, the horror! In that situation, I might be able to stumble over 'I don't speak Chinese', then attempt to sink noiselessly into the floorboards.

Maybe one of these days. Maybe. In the meantime, I will stare at pics of my favourite stuff and wish I had it.

Har gao
A soft, white dumpling with thin, pleated pastry and a shrimp filling. These are ridiculously delicious and I could eat a lot of them, except that would probably look very rude.

Siu mai
Dumpling with yellow dough pastry and a filling of ground pork, with a little piece of carrot/pea on top to add colour. Goes hand in hand with the above. I prefer har gao, but these are nice too!

Har gao, siu mai ~ <3 (from flickr's Eugene Flores)


Char siu bao
Fluffy white bun filled with char siu (barbecue pork) in a sweet, reddish sauce. I always, ALWAYS burn my mouth on my first bite of these. It doesn't matter how long I wait, I will end up with a faceful of pain, tears and steam. But it's worth it.

Char siu bao! (from flickr's su-lin)

Cheung fun
Soft, translucent rice noodle rolls with some kind of tasty filling, usually served in a sweet soy sauce. I have had them with prawn and char siu filling, and both were delicious.

Cheung fun (from flickr's Kake Pugh)


Jin deui
Hollow, deep fried balls of pastry coated in sesame seeds, with a sweet filling. A dessert thing. I haven't had these for aaaages, but the texture is really interesting - kind of crispy-chewy?


Jin deui (from flickr's Kent Wang)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...