Monday 24 September 2012

Adventures in Japanese: 'An' it's your bad luck you grew up in a family o' the biggest tuna I ever laid eyes on.'


 In a stroke of luck on my eBay wanderings, I have now received a copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Japanese, for only about £7! Reading should at least fix up some of the bizarre listening mistakes I get from the audiobook, the most persistent of which is that I consistently hear 'Muggle' (マグル) as 'Maguro' (マグロ), for tuna.

It sort of seems like they got a five-year old with a crayon to do the illustrations inside (a wizard is generally denoted by a stick figure with a pointy hat) but they are somewhat charming nonetheless. 

As you can very clearly see, this is Hermione fighting a troll. Yes.
In the course of my wanderings, I also came across the Japanese names for the Planets - a topic of interest to me since I'm currently practicing the Grand Cross course on DDR!

水星 (suisei) - Mercury. 'Water star'
金星 (kinsei) - Venus. 'Gold star'. 
火星 (kasei) - Mars. 'Fire star'.
木星 (mokusei) - Jupiter. 'Wood star'.
土星 (dosei) - Saturn. 'Earth star'.
天王(tennousei) - Uranus. 'Heaven-King star'.
海王星 (kaiousei) - Neptune. 'Sea-King star'. 

Left out Earth because that was boring. And not a planet anymore, but:
冥王星 (meiousei) - Pluto. 'Dark-King star'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...