Thursday 6 September 2012

Cosplay Diary: Collar v.1

  My current project is making a cosplay of Evangelion Unit 01, except in a more human form. I have a concept art, but it's rather outdated, so I've been meaning to make a new one. Maybe next time!

First step: the neck piece, based this on the orange area which covers 01's throat.

グオオオオオオオォォ!!
  My first attempt at this used the basic idea of a neck corset - a rigid collar, more common in fetish stuff than anywhere else. But by god, in the process of researching plasticky materials I think I've seen every latex and PVC item in the world ever. Seriously, I think nothing could surprise me now. I've seen things.

o___o

o________o

  Anyway, I created a framework from Rigilene plastic boning (not steel boning, or it wouldn't bend!) and interfacing, and added a zip so that it could zip up at the front. I also added a comfy black fabric lining to the inside.

The framework underneath, with boning along the top and bottom edges as well as at intervals vertically.

Edges covered with black cloth, to avoid an ill-timed plastic bone to the jugular.
 I then sewed a covering of black cloth and orange PVC, and attached this to the framework. Results are as follows:


My verdict - it is passable. I can wear it, and I have learnt a lot from making it! The downside, I would say, is that it's fairly thick (required for that much reinforcement) and slightly loose - to have it perfectly form-fitting in a non-stretch material, and then to wear it around a con, would probably cause me to vomit spectacularly over a bunch of bootleg anime merchandise.

Perhaps if I have time, I will make a collar v.2, using stretch fabric for the lining and relying on friction and minimal boning to keep it up. That way I could make a more form-fitting collar, but I risk it falling down, whereas this one never would... I'm not sure which would be better. I guess experimentation will tell!

But I think I'll fix up other stuff first. Next stop, the bra!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...